New Block: Maple Leaf + #quiltsforFortMac

Over the years, I've gone back and forth about making a maple leaf block. I guess I always knew I would make one eventually. This year, I figured I'd make one for my MadCatBOM, but I found an even better reason!

 Although it's not my style, I'll iron this block before sending it. 

Although it's not my style, I'll iron this block before sending it. 

SLOstudio put the call out to make maple leaf blocks for quilts to send to families displaced by the wildfires surrounding Fort McMurray in Alberta, Canada. The fires have been raging since May 1st and show no signs of stopping. Authorities are saying it could take months to get the fires out. Almost 90,000 people have been evacuated, leaving homes and belongings behind.

Making this block was fun and easy. I didn't use a pattern, but there's a really good one at Slostudio.com. Of course, with my no measuring, no ruler cutting methods, I didn't get the perfect 12.5" size SLOstudio was looking for. I put a little boarder on mine to get it the extra inches. Since SLOStudio said that the blocks could be traditional or improv, I think this addition will be fine.    

I'm linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday and planning on sending this block and a few more I will make to madaboutpatchwork, who has offered to collect the blocks.