Last year, Quarter Inch from the Edge started Year Of The Stash for a lovely year of stash busting in 2016! This year, I'm not sure what's happening with YOTS2017. I've reached out to her, and am eager to hear what her plans are. I know I miss her posts and encouragement as I'm sure many in the quilting community do.
To start out last year's YOTS we made a manifesto of our pledge to use more stash. Here is my 2017 manifesto:
1) Use as much stash as possible. Last year, I said buy less, this year my mantra will be use more. I will still try to buy less, of course, but 2016 really gave me a good appetite for not buying.
2) Incorporate some vintage, reclaimed, and or repurposed fabric in all work. I feel more satisfied if I'm using vintage and reclaimed fabric in my work.
3) Sew, Sew, Sew. I'm starting off another year hoping for a finish each month. I have a lot of stash to help me with this.
And here is my fabric intake/output so far:
Fabric Added from the Start of the Year: Bought - 1.25 yd, Gifted - approximately 12 yd
Fabric Added Year to Date: Approximately 13.25
Fabric Used Since Start of the Year: Approximately 3 yd
Fabric Used Year to Date: Approximately 3 yd
Late last year and so far this year, I've been good about not buying new fabric. Since vintage and reused fabric can be hard to come by, I do not restrict myself where it's concerned. I've gone to quite a few shops, and only came away with a small handful. Pictured above is all I've bought in January so far (although, just today I've been contemplating an online purchase...).
I've joined quite a few on line challenges this year, and so far have shopped my stash! I hope to keep this up all year!
My husband has joined some of these as well, and it's good too see the fabric he pulls going to good use.
What are some of the ways you will use your stash this year? How do you plan on keeping yourself motivated to use up and not buy?
Here is 2016's manifesto:
1) Buy as little new fabric as possible. I won't say buy none. I want to be free to get a great new piece here or there, patron indy quilt shops, or buy backing when needed. I'll buy used, reclaimed, and/or vintage fabric when possible. I pride myself on using these fabrics in my quilts, and need to scoop them up when they preset themselves. But I want to be mindful not to add too much to my stash!
2) Use some used, vintage and/or reclaimed fabrics in all quilts. Last year was the first time I used all new fabric for some quilts and it just didn't feel right. As I said above, I pride myself to use these vintage items, and I need to get back to that. I have such a wonderful collection in my stash, it needs to get out into the world!
3) Organize as I go. When we moved, I started folding and color coordinating my stash and discovered that I have far too much fabric!! I barely made a dent before I filled up the entire space I'd set aside. I'd like to utilize this space better this year. I want to use up, organize, and consolidate during The Year of the Stash!
4) Sew, sew, sew! One of my goals is to have at least one finish per month, I'd also like to make one new block per month. Sourcing from my stash will help me as I have so many wonderful fabrics at my fingertips!